Saturday, June 9, 2007

Book Suggestions

I've been trying to think of books that Mum could read when Moomintroll runs out. Here are some of my ideas so far:

Winnie the Pooh
Wind in the Willows
The Phantom Tollboth
The Thirteen Clocks

Shoot, I thought I had more. It's always harder in the clear light of day than when I'm not sleeping at 3:00 in the morning.

Any other ideas? Perhaps we can compile a list and Chukka can choose, and Magda can see what she can find. (Mail being faster from there.)

I will admit to being bitterly disappointed that Chukka can't come home sooner. Yesterday, her insurance phoned me with some questions about what we would want for medevac, and I got all excited, because I thought that meant maybe she was ready to think about leaving. But no, they were just planning ahead. I think that let me know how much I want her to be here, where all her friends are, and where she will get the kind of support and therapy and everything that she needs. As long as she was really in danger, it seemed to matter less exactly where she was. Now, though, I think she is starting to take things in more and beginning to deal with the emotional stuff, and that must be so hard in a foreign culture, with a foreign language. She can't even watch TV! -- because it's in German not English.

So I think this is a good time to send her more cards! She needs to know you are all out there pulling for her. I also am hoping she can have flowers -- if so, I will post some websites of flower companies in Germany/Austria that Claudia suggested. Kirsten sent some flowers to my mother long ago -- sorry Kirsten, I still don't even know if she got them!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would CDs or DVDs be appropriate? Is there any way she could watch or hear them where she is now instead of TV?

Eliza said...

I've sent email to my mother to ask if Chukka could have a DVD player. We were looking at getting one earlier, but then the doctor said not in the ICU. As soon as I know, I will post that information.

TourAbsurd said...

Two of my favorite books: Whose Mouse Are You? http://www.amazon.com/Whose-Mouse-Are-You-Stories/dp/1416903119/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5728202-5086359?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181601579&sr=8-1

And Little Bunny Follows His Nose, a scratch and sniff book:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Bunny-Follows-Scented-Storybook/dp/0375826440/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5728202-5086359?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181601690&sr=1-1

Hugs to you all!
SistaWeotch :)