Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Seeing Chukka

My father and I went to the hospital this morning and stayed about two hours. Chukka was awake and in good spirits, and I was impressed with how well she is doing. She is clearly on top of things and looking out for what is needed. She was making sure her critical records got transfered, making sure she had what she needed, and so on. She even called my dad this morning before we left to ask for some things she wanted. She was able to make jokes with me and my dad -- overall I would say she made the visit very easy for us.

We brought fruit and flowers out of my father's garden, and also a lot of books and magazines. She has already gotten four of the internet cards that have been sent! She was happy to see those, I think. We got a chance to meet her "case manager" and to get some things in motion -- as Magda said, she might be transfered to rehab very soon.

I think she is very glad to be back where she has more autonomy and is able to communicate. She should be able to have her cell phone in the hospital, and probably a computer -- the only question is whether there is wireless in rehab, I think.

We left around lunchtime -- she *said* she was going to eat and then go to sleep. But earlier, while we were talking, she had realized that she could call her cell phone and get her messages, and as we were going, I saw her reaching for the phone -- so I think she may have been just as happy we left. ;)

She says you can contact her by phone. Call the front desk at

925 939 3000 and ask for Carol Sachs

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome stateside Fishie -

So so glad to hear you are back and healing.

Love, Shoegirl

Karine said...

Wooo Hoooo !

This is amazing - ! And her sprits are high - That is good.

My sister is having a baby (in maybe the same hosptial ??) next week, as she lives in Walnut Creek.

How cool is that!
The transfer sounded amazing, too. I am glad they are taking such good care of her and she is able to do some things herself! Nice!

ChiaLynn said...

When one of you has a chance... What can Fishy have in the hospital? Cards and flowers, of course, but what about larger stuff? Board games, stuffed animals, ill-tempered rhinoceroses? (Not that I imagine anyone wanting to send her a rhinoceros, but you never know...)

clamoring said...

Best wishes from your Burner friends (even those you haven't met!) :)

Chukka said...

3 hours after a baby is born, mom gets to press a button that plays Brahms? lulluby to the entire hospital.
(lullaby and good night and with roses be dight, do do dudu, du du du, du du dutidu du du.)