Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Due for Early Release

So it looks like the release date is the 24th, next Tuesday. That will give me a couple of days to sink in, before the hordes descend on the weekend. (I still have pizza and beer--that ought to attract hordes.)
One of my physical therapists has said she'll pick up a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows for me on Saturday. Is is a gift or should I pay her back? The second, probably. better ask my mom to bring back the check book.
In the meantime, I'm out of books I want to read here. I finished the fourth Judge Dee mystery. These are a little odd, the first was a translation of a Chinese detective story; it did so well that he started writing stories with the same hero. I don't know why I'm reading them--insight into China? or the Netherlands? Still, exotic settings are interesting for a while.
\I do have Eight Little Piggies, but there's only so many Steven Jay Gould essays I can read a week.
My mother once handed me Number One Woman's Detective Agency, but she can't find it now, that seems about perfect.
I don't actually like detective stories in one way. I certainly never try and figure out "who donit." I figure the authot is way more clever than I am, so why try and compete? Maybe I should just journal a lot.
No snack food either--and I've developed an appetite--all that working out. Plus, people are telling me I've lost weight. All that working out.

Or in the words of the immortal Sandra Boyton--things are getting desparate; please send chocolate.

2 comments:

Magda said...

I have *all* of Judge Dee -- however, I don't suppose you would have been up to him in Austria. I treated myself last year by rereading them in chronological order (though this was hard as they were not written in chron order so I did make a mistake or two). I have all but most recent of Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, but not worth time or trouble shipping over the Atlantic, I think.
Is it better now you can watch English-language TV? I know that was a problem in Austria.

Magda

Anonymous said...

chukka, do you have any interest in knitting/crocheting/any kind of crafts? holler if you do.

i'll try to send some old books and random entertainment your way once you are back home!

hunnybear/5x5/katie ;o)