Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Playing the Insurance Game

The insurance has agreed to extend Chukka's stay in the hospital until next Wednesday, I guess that's the 23rd. In part this is because she now has the left prosthesis, so they can get some time for prosthesis rehab. This gives us a little more time to finish the ramp, and also more time for her right leg to heal. The infection is gone, but there are still two channels in the leg, about 4 inches long, that need to be tended to daily. The channels are healing -- they are getting narrower, but not specifically shorter. Anyway, with those still there, I am happier thinking of her in the hospital for now.

Cleaning the house went well. The rooms upstairs have been cleared for my mother, and things downstairs have been rearranged so Chukka can move about and specifically so there is a clear path in case of fire. (Scott was into fire alarms, too, so there are plenty all around.) Many thanks to all of Chukka's friends who came and helped! Double and triple thanks to Mike, who came all the way down from Sacramento for three days and worked on the ramp. That is not quite finished. It's not a cement thing, which is what I was expecting, but more like a deck or something. All the frame has been built and now it just has to have the top done.

My mother is really a trooper. It's a huge life change for her, almost as big as for Chukka, and I think it can be challenging at times. But it's clear she is going to do whatever it takes to help Chukka make the transition to her new life. Mum has been out at hospital irrigating and dressing those wounds (one thing I could never do), pushing Chukka's wheelchair up curbs, and generally learning how to support and take care of and be there for Chukka. It's a long process, but everyone is doing the best they can, and that really is quite a lot.

2 comments:

Chukka said...

I do hope you tell Mum face to face that she's a trooper.

Anonymous said...

Clearly being a trooper is a Sachs women family trait. You all are amazing, Eliza.

Chukka, I've been out of contact but now am catching up on the blog and am so amazed and proud of your progress.

I hear you about city streets. One thing you take for granted in the illusion that things are level. I know it pales in comparison, but when I busted my knee up and had no health insurance and could not afford the surgery I needed, I was on crutches and a cane for a year. I learned that there is no such thing as a level city street.

Sending more love and healing your way,
~technopatra~