Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Mean Girls in High School

This is a very weird post, I think.
Have you ever heard of post anathesia psychosis? (I think that's not the name, but it's the closest I can come up with right now.)
I had a case in Innsbrock. I was coming out of the anathesia after my last operation in Austria, on the day before I left the icu. For some reason there were 8-12 nurses there, all women.
Somethings I know were weird ideas cooked up in my own head. There is no way that it is the truth that the hospital kept a room identical to the icu where they practiced scenarios that might occur during crashes of the Austrian National Airline. (Does Austria even have a national airline?) Certainly it is not true that one of my roommates was actually some sort of robot that they used for drills and that if you didn't take care of the robot right it would blow up to the size of a walrus. I can't even remember what kind of robot my other roommate was.
(Although at some point earlier in my stay, I was convinced that she was actually some sort of ape with a singing career who had escaped from her producer. Let me be very clear, I was on opiates for pain. My thought processes were not functioning well.)

Well, I thought the nurses were out to get me. Some of it must have been paranoid thinking. But I don't know that all of it was. At some point they cut up part of my 2-piece colostomy bag system to prove some point. and they kept arguing with me--what was the point of that? I was not thinking right, logic wasn't going to change things. Why so many of them?

I wish I could understand this experience better. One or two of them were nurses I didn't like much, including the nurse who when I was in Maskentherapie and had got her attention when I was freaking out from it by knocking the finger in the little closepin monitor thingie on my bedside table, then moved the table out of my reach when she left. I felt surrounded and tried to hit a couple. It's hard to take a swing at people when you don't have legs. Much more likely to fall out of bed. I discovered that grabbing hold with one hand and hitting with the other was a better stratagy.

I wish I could understand this experience better...

8 comments:

Shell said...

ICU Psychosis

http://www.medicinenet.com/icu_psychosis/article.htm

??

Kirsten, the Purple Koosh said...

Shell got to it before I did. Mr.Koosh had a ripper of a case of ICU psychosis once...I had it all typed out, but was logged in on the wrong profile, and when I tried to switch it ate my comment, so you're spared. *wry grin*

Chukka said...

I don't know, It might have been reassuring to read of someone else's odd behavior to put my own in perspective.

Shell said...

Hun I googled anesthsia psychosis
yep even spelled wrong.. it corrected my spelling and then gave me links that when read led me to believe this is indeed what happened to you.
You said in the title High School Mean Girls in other words you felt threatened in the same manner as before.
The guy I read about was thinking he was in alaska ... previous experience....
Go to google.com and type search words into the bar.. you would be amazed at the number of hits..
I think it would be prudent to discuss it with your doctor and maybe even let the doctors in Austria know what happened so maybe they can help someone else.
Just a thought... Much Love MeShell

Chukka said...

'Scuse me Shell, are you saying that I should tell the doctors about the behavior of the nurses or that I should tell them about the anesthesia psychosis?

(I did mention it to the psychiatrist, I mean abo ut the nurses, saying I couldn't prove anything, but that he should know in case something similier happens to someone else...)

Shell said...

I think both... real or imagined they should know...

Magda said...

Actually, the doctors did know about some of this, because one of them told Sally and me. We came to visit during the/one of the psychotic episodes. The doctor who spoke to us was very concerned. It was a difficult situation. Scary.

There *is* Austria Airlines (also Tyrolean Airlines). I flew on these airlines in and out of Innsbruck. I may have mentioned the experience during visiting, and put the idea of the airline in your mind, Chukka. I was probably describing the music (Strauss), stewardess uniform (Trachten) and so on.

Magda

Chukka said...

Its amazing how powerful this experience remains in my memory. Just the idea that the doctors were gossiping behind my back about my psychosis puts me into fight or flight.

I still think that the nurses were a little unprofessional. I cannot see the point of cutting up my colostomy bag or of trying to use logic.

Oh well.