Monday, May 7, 2007

No real changes

Just very busy, arranging insurance, thinking about where she can come to here, things like that. When she comes back, she will need to go to a hospital for inpatient rehabilitation for some time.

Her home would be very very difficult to make wheelchair friendly, the front steps alone are about 10 steps, opening onto a narrow driveway, it's hard to imagine being able to build a temporary ramp that would be stable enough. This kind of situation is repeated thorugh out the house, so truly making it safe would be a challenge. There are many options, I think best not to commit to one before we can get an idea of what she wants. I think when she gets into rehab here, she will meet people in a similar situation and get more of a picture of what she will want.

She does not know of her condition, it might be a while before they tell her.

I must say the overseas office for her insurance company was very good at least on the phone, we will see how that all plays out...

7 comments:

Kirsten, the Purple Koosh said...

*nods* When I first heard the news (was it really only a week ago?), I fell asleep trying to figure out how in the name of $DEITY one could actually make the house wheelchair accessible. Getting up to the second floor when I spent the night there last year was a challenge with two good legs....

Ivy said it best, in a comment on my LiveJournal: "I want her to have whatever she wants, whatever that may be."

Keeping you all in my thoughts, as always.

Shell said...

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=FISHY

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for keeping us all updated. I just want you to know Im here daily checking up on her progress, even if I am 'silent'.

I miss her wittyness on tribe. I look forward to her speedy recovery and return to the madness that is www.tribe.net.

**
Rapunzel

TourAbsurd said...

No matter what she decides when she gets home, I have a hunch that she'll be able to find many, many talented and dedicated build- and modification- capable type folks ready to volunteer. Burning Man is good for that. :)

Hugs and many blessings,
SistaWeotch

Karine said...

Time seems to be standing still, and it has to be hard on everyone involved. This might go on for quite some time.

I am thankful that we still have Chukka and we have a place to check on her every day.

ornery dandelion said...

Just adding another voice of support both for Chukka and her family. You are all in my thoughts throughout the day. I am so thankful for this blog and the frequent updates.

Much love to you all.

anile said...

Thank you so so so much, again, for all the updates. I know it can't be easy with everything else you are having to take care of right now.
IWe just continue to send prayers and energy to Chukka and to you, her family. This will indeed take a long time, months even, so that time will start to slow down. I just really worry about her and how hard it's gonna be when she finds out.
Be strong Chukka! And know that you are floating on a sea of love! We love you!!!!