Friday, May 4, 2007

Devils and Angels

Devils

FedEx for not being able to deliver before Tuesday (DHL may be better)

Customs for not letting anything without a prescription anyway

The Airplane Gods for canceling my mother's flight so we didn't know what plane she was on

The three people, including one supervisor, who couldn't find her reservation in the plane system because that flight was yesterday and had been deleted,

The pharmacist at Muum's health plan who said they couldn't fax a prescription out of the country and gave an 800 phone number that clearly wouldn't work out of the US,


Angels:

My father for digging up my mother's plane reservation number

my sister Magda for contacting the US Embassy

Barbara in the US Embassy (she is the contact they gave us when they told us about Chukka) for knowing that there is a 24-hour medical clinic and a pharmacy in the Munich airport, and for knowing the magic words "my mother is a cardiac patient, she has forgotten her medications, and she is extremely agitated."

Stefan for putting aside the time to meet my mother at the medical clinic tomorrow and driving her up to Innsbruck when he doesn't own a car and has no time for anything.

The man who dug out my mother's original reservation so we could figure out what flight she'd been bumped to

The woman for the other airline who also had to locate my mother when she was invisible in the system and who booked a wheelchair at the other end,

The advice nurse at Mum's health plan who gave me my mother's ID number even though I couldn't remember her birthdate,

The phone person at Mum's health plan who took twenty minutes to write up the note to the doctor and phoned ahead to the clinic after she told me "The doctor will respond in 24 to 48 hours," and I said, "That's not possible." Deep breath. "My mother is a cardiac patient and. she's forgotten ..."

The woman at the clinic in Munich who was very sweet when I called and the fax had not yet come through (still hasn't, but I feel more like it will),

the Airplane Gods who gave my mother a three-hour layover in the US so I could actually page her to call me and tell her the plan,

AND

me

5 comments:

anile said...

Wow! You're amazing! Good job, now it sounds like you can take a deep breath and sit back for a few. Take care of yourself too! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Angel and devils, black n white, good n bad, yes there is balance in the world, its just not always easy to see it! You are wonderful Eliza! Without you we all would be spinning in our boots with no way to know anything, I want to thank you on behalf of the entire Burner community and all of Fishy's friends and loved ones...YOU ARE AMAZING!Thank you for keeping us up to date...please dont stop! hehe
Love and so much lifelight,
Pinemom~Shelly
Kurt~Titwi

Anonymous said...

Yeah! What Pinemom said. You rock!


Box Burner
Peter

Kirsten, the Purple Koosh said...

You are most certainly on the side of the angels, Eliza. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for keeping us all posted.

Chukka said...

Dang, I had no idea that th at drama went on. Slept through it peacefully? Not really, but the perspective is odd...