Thursday, May 3, 2007

No Danger of Life

My mother's flight was canceled, I got a call on my machine, probably from the airport, that she would not arrive in Munich till Saturday morning. So I've called to cancel one night at her hotel and then also called the ICU to let them know.

I got a physician, and he said, "I expect you're calling to ask how she is. Normally it is best to talk to only one family member." I was sort of sitting there sputtering, "no, it's okay, I understand," and he went on, "so please understand if there are any discrepencies," and then gave me the latest info. And he is right, coming through me, it is already less clear, so you also understand we cannot know so much.

He told about the amputation. He did say, "There is no danger of life," which must be an improvement since at one time she was critical but stable. There will be some more surgeries, another one tomorrow, some to address additional trauma, and some "to ensure the rest of the leg remains intact." Heart and lungs are good. High fever.

She will remain in ICU another one or two weeks. It's my impression she will then be discharged to be brought (medevac) to the US. Not sure how that will be paid for, but my current impression is that it will be covered.

Please do keep up the comments, love, caring, they support us as well.

So DON'T send anything big or slow, it might not get there, and even if it does, it will be hard for Sally to bring back.

My limited experience with this is that dates and times and what will happen will keep changing until one day they say, "tomorrow, she will be leaving...."

As he also pointed out, she still doesn't know what has happened to her. She is now in a "light sleep".

Driving home today, some idiot did one of those unwise lane changes and I found myself saying, almost begging, "Please be careful, please be careful." It's like the Sting song "On and on, the rain will tell how fragile we are, how fragile we are." Margaret was a fan of the Police, and then of Sting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You so much, I know many of us are checking for news 4 or 5 times a day, our thought and love are all directed towards Chukka’s healing and recovery.

Zulegoona

Anonymous said...

Yes as Zuley' says thank you, Just cant fully be at ease till we know she's ok!
Love and Life
Pinemom

Kirsten, the Purple Koosh said...

My limited experience with this is that dates and times and what will happen will keep changing until one day they say, "tomorrow, she will be leaving...."

That's my own experience, as well.

Thinking of you all, constantly.